Engage with the Arts while Practicing Social Distancing
The Scottsdale Arts Learning & Innovation team has compiled a list of teacher, parent, and artist resources to help you find creative ways to engage with the arts and support you through these challenging times.
Be sure to check back as this list will grow and develop as more resources become available. We hope that you are well during these challenging times and that you are taking time each day to have a mental break. And what better way to do that than to try that new artistic hobby or project you haven’t had time to start?
Resources for Students/Teachers
Kennedy Center Classroom Resources
A robust collection of hundreds of digital learning resources: lessons, articles, performance guides, how-tos and much more.
Wolf Trap Education
Wolf Trap believes in the transformative power of the arts in early childhood education! This website includes arts-integrated lesson plans that use the performing arts to teach early childhood curriculum.
Imagineering in a Box Course
Imagineering in a Box is designed to pull back the curtain to show you how artists, designers, and engineers work together to create theme parks. Go behind the scenes with Disney Imagineers and complete project-based exercises to design a theme park of your very own.
Young Authors’ Studio
Students (ages 10–18) are invited to choose among several writing activities and earn a certificate for composing at least three pieces. Students can even receive feedback on their work from wonderful ASU writing mentors! Also accepting short films, songs, poems, comics, etc. for a brand-new online journal, Unscripted!
- Writing activities, certificate, and mentor feedback:
* Mentor feedback ends April 15.
* Deadline: April 15.
Free Arts Experiences from Around the Globe
Virtually visit museums and attend performances, peruse books and multidisciplinary lesson plans.
- Free art e-books provided by the Smithsonian Scholarly Press and The Met
- Free Museum Apps from Global Museum
- Google Arts & Culture
- Stream Broadway plays and musicals
- Free opera streaming offered by the Met Opera
- Association for Theatre in Higher Education (ATHE) Online Teaching Resources and a comprehensive list of other theater education resources.
- Facebook groups for teachers:
Resources for Artists
Applications to The Molly Blank Fund Teaching Artists Program (TAP) at ASU Gammage for the 2020–2021 cohort are now available online. The program is designed to create teaching artists in the metro Phoenix area that have been trained in the Kennedy Center arts integration method. After training, these teaching artists will develop residency lesson plans that will be implemented in a K–12 classroom setting. TAP artists who fulfill all the program requirements will receive $500 upon completion of the program. TAP artists will also be listed on ASU Gammage’s Teaching Artists Roster, helping them to secure future teaching opportunities.
CERF+: The Artists Safety Net National Survey
CERF+ is conducting a national survey of studio-based artists to understand the challenges they are facing in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. The data gathered will help us advocate for artists and inform how we can address immediate and long-term needs. Complete the survey and share with fellow artists.
Teaching Artist COVID-19 Community Conversation
On Friday, March 13, 2020, the NYC Arts in Education Roundtable, Association of Teaching Artists, Teaching Artists Guild, Creative Generation, National Guild for Community Arts Education, and Teaching Artists of the Mid-Atlantic hosted a free webinar to address how the COVID-19 health crisis is affecting teaching artists. Watch the recording.
NAMM Foundation Webinar on Teaching Music Online
On March 18, the NAMM foundation offered a free webinar that addressed: how to be more comfortable teaching online, where to go for support from experts and music educators, how to create or adjust your lesson plans for an online learning environment, and many other topics.
Grants, Emergency Funds, Resources, and Opportunities
- Creative Capital
- Behind the Scenes Grant
- Foundation for Contemporary Arts
- Americans for the Arts
- National Endowment for the Arts
- Alliance of Artist Communities
- Arizona Commission on the Arts
- AGMA Relief Fund
- American For the Arts – Covid Response Center
- APAP (Association of Performing Arts Professionals) Advocacy
- Authors League Fund
- Billboard’s State-by-State Resource Guide for Music Professionals Who Need Help During Coronavirus Crisis
- COVID-19 Freelance Artist Resources
- Electronic Theatre Consoles
- Foundation for Contemporary Arts – Emergency Artist Grants
- MusiCares COVID-19 Relief Fund
- Musicians Foundations – CV19 Emergency Aid Grant
- TAFF: Emergency Fund for Artists
- WomenArts- Emergency Artist Funds
- Freelancers Relief Fund
- Artist Relief Tree
- Artist Relief Fund