Internships at Scottsdale Arts
Scottsdale Arts offers challenging and comprehensive internships for undergraduates, recent graduates and graduate students who are interested in gaining experience in the arts and business/arts administration fields. Scottsdale Arts is a 501c(3) non-profit organization that is vested with the responsibility of administering and developing the arts within the city of Scottsdale. Our internships are on a volunteer basis and can be coordinated with staff to aid in receiving academic credit.
How to Apply
- Review the list of internships offered. (Note: The following list of openings are indicative of the kinds of internships available; however, internships offered each semester are based upon the organization’s need.) Please clearly state your area of interest in your application.
- Please provide:
- Cover letter describing your interest in your preferred internship position.
- Complete the online application found here.
Late applicants will not be considered.
FALL Internships (August-December)
- Applications Open: May
- Application Deadline: July
SPRING Internships (January-May)
- Applications Open: November
- Application Deadline: December
SUMMER Internships (June-August/September)
- Applications Open: March
- Application Deadline: April
Scottsdale Arts Fall Data Marketing Internship
Seeking upper-level undergraduate or graduate student majoring in communications, marketing, computer science\digital societies, data analytics, or business analysis.
Analyze targeted social media campaigns designed to engage patrons attending Canal Convergence and performances at Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts. Intern will:
- Create engagement-level tests and report on the effectiveness of different models of social media engagement.
- Work in Sprout Social tracking and reporting on patron engagement across predefined hashtags and post threads.
- Generate a report on effectiveness based on metrics defined by the marketing director.
- Use reporting data to propose post model by channel that align best with patron engagement. Based on findings, build test formats using model data to test effectiveness of the proposed model on the live feed.
- Monitor and report on the effectiveness of each model.
- Data analysis, content development, knowledge of branded A/B market testing, Microsoft Excel.
- Experience in social analytics analysis or reporting. Bonus points for experience in Sprout Social or Google Analytics.
NOTE: This is an unpaid internship
Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art Curatorial Research Internship
Seeking graduate, recent graduate, or upper-level undergraduate student majoring in museum studies, art history, or related field.
Learn from the SMoCA curatorial staff to implement daily duties, including general exhibition support and research and assisting with exhibition final reports and file organization. Opportunities will be presented to shadow staff and, potentially, to help with exhibition installation, registrar duties, and programming as the need arises. Intern will:
- Work directly with curatorial and Museum staff on specified projects for upcoming exhibitions/programming.
- Gather sources and imagery; summarize and present findings to a curator in writing.
- Support the curatorial staff via researching for an exhibition (possibly publications); evaluate and update curatorial archive for the Museum and/or assist with programming needs.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Experience with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, databases, Adobe Photoshop, and scanning.
- Demonstrated prior responsibility for and consistent follow-through over a long-term project.
- Some hours may be done at the Museum or off-campus while researching. Accurate researching and organizational skills will be beneficial.
NOTE: This is an unpaid internship.
Scottsdale Arts Fall Development Internship
Seeking students or recent graduates interested in nonprofit management.
This internship will provide valuable insight and exposure to the philanthropic processes of a major nonprofit arts organization. The intern will work closely with all members of the development team to acquire a rich understanding of fundraising strategies. Intern will:
- Assist in donor research, using database and other sources for in-depth prospecting of individual, corporate, and foundational entities.
- Support implementation of data management projects that include working with both physical and digital archives.
- Assist with maintaining, updating, and expanding Tessitura CRM (customer relationship management) database, such as tracking development activity and adding supporting documents to client records.
- Develop and maintain grant calendar; help gather program data to produce grant reports.
- Work with membership/donor acquisition and retention initiatives, including processing direct mail appeals and stewardship communications.
- Assist with special event and meeting preparation and execution, including development of materials such as handouts, name tags, and event invitations.
- Strong computer, communication, organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently and solve problems.
- Ability to maintain data integrity and safekeeping of confidential information.
- Interest in non-profit philanthropy.
- Database experience highly suggested but not required.
NOTE: This is an unpaid internship.
Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts Theatre Production Intern
Seeking graduate or undergraduate student majoring in theatre, theatre production, and/or arts management.
Learn the daily operations of a production department functioning in a presenting organization. Learn to properly “advance” a show—including guest artists production schedules, technical needs, and acquisition of any backline and/or other equipment needed for production. Learn how to translate all of this information into effective communication to the production departments for proper execution of shows. Intern will:
- Begin with the basic education of normal operations of the production department, including various paperwork tasks.
- Shadow various departments on shows to gather real world knowledge of how each department performs its duties. Intern will primarily shadow the production manager to observe how to communicate with artists and crew to create advance.
- Be assigned shows to advance on their own and produce all proper paperwork and oversee the production through to completion.
- Identify a semester-long project to conceptualize, plan/budget, and execute. This is a hands-on guided learning experience on how venue improvement is done from a nonprofit perspective.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Basic Microsoft Office knowledge.
- Passion for the performing arts.
- Passion for management.
- Knowledge of one or more technical departments (preferred).
NOTE: This is an unpaid internship
Contact: Cassandra Buruato, Internship Coordinator at Cassandrab@scottsdalearts.org