Internships at Scottsdale Arts
The Scottsdale Arts Internship Program is designed to inspire and elevate the next generation of leaders in the arts and nonprofit fields. Scottsdale Arts is offering paid internships for students from local and national colleges and universities with the goal of providing an in-depth view of Scottsdale Arts: Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts, Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art (SMoCA), Scottsdale Public Art, and Scottsdale Arts Learning & Innovation. Interns will have the opportunity to experience how a multidisciplinary nonprofit arts organization operates and gain experience in arts leadership through a 140–160 hour per semester program, which provides fundamental workplace skills as well as specialized training in specific disciplines.
Through the Scottsdale Arts Internship Program, interns will build critical thinking, communication, collaboration, leadership, and a strong work ethic. Interns will have the opportunity to cultivate their skills as they learn from accomplished professionals across the multiple branches of Scottsdale Arts (see below). Interns will work in meaningful positions in the different branches, including curatorial research, performing arts, marketing, development, fundraising, and special events.
At Scottsdale Arts we recognize the lack of diversity among young leadership within the arts sector. Scottsdale Arts is dedicated to changing this and has designed this internship platform with diversity and access in mind. We believe strongly that the work around inequality and inequity in the arts and in our community can begin from within our organization, and we are looking to bridge the gap to a more inclusive, equitable, and transparent culture within the arts sector and the broader community we serve. Strong consideration will be given to BIPOC applicants for this program, and we specifically encourage young arts leaders from diverse communities to apply.
The Scottsdale Arts Internship Program will offer paid on-the-job training and experience working in nonprofit arts management, while offering students an opportunity to foster, develop, and grow their skills to become future arts leaders.
How to Apply
- Review the list of internships offered. (Note: The following list of openings are indicative of the kinds of internships available; however, internships offered each semester are based upon the organization’s need.) Please clearly state your area of interest in your application.
- Please provide:
- Cover letter describing your interest in your preferred internship position.
- Completed online application found here.
Late applicants will not be considered.
FALL Internships (August – December)
- Applications Open: May
- Application Deadline: July
SPRING Internships (January – May)
- Applications Open: November
- Application Deadline: December
SUMMER Internships (June – August/September)
- Applications Open: March
- Application Deadline: April
Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art (SMoCA) Curatorial Research Internship – Spring 2021
Seeking graduate, recent graduate, or upper-level undergraduate student majoring in museum studies, art history, or a related field for the spring semester 2021.
Primary duties will be support for the SMoCA curatorial team including: general exhibition support and research, assisting with archival material, and file maintenance/organization. Opportunities will be presented to shadow staff, as well as to help with exhibition installation, registrarial duties, and museum programs as the need arises.
• Work directly with curatorial and Museum staff on specified projects.
• Gather sources and imagery; have the ability to summarize and present findings in writing succinctly and professionally.
• Work directly with the curatorial staff on research for upcoming exhibitions (possibly a publication).
• Evaluate and update the curatorial archive for the Museum and/or assist with Museum program needs.
Required skills include strong verbal and written communication. Accurate researching and organizations skills are essential. Desired skills include demonstrated prior experience in scholarly writing, previous experience in responsibility for and consistent follow-through of a long-term project, and experience with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts Broadway Internship – Spring 2021
Seeking associate, undergraduate, or graduate students majoring in arts management, communications, theatre, theatre production, business, project management, or events management. Knowledge of Broadway theatre helpful.
Job duties will include research and development of plan for structure of the Center’s Broadway Fan Club, designed to support growth and development of the Center’s Broadway audiences.
• Evaluate current Broadway audience at the Center.
• Research Valley theatre audiences and their knowledge of Broadway artists.
• Evaluate potential for collaborative marketing efforts with area theaters.
• Investigate other potential sources for Broadway audiences.
• Work with managing director, marketing team, and patron services to structure program.
Required skills include excellent communication and research skills and knowledge of social media marketing. Knowledge of Broadway and Broadway artists helpful but not required.
Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts UCAT Internship – Spring 2021
Seeking associate, undergraduate, or graduate students majoring in arts management, communications, theatre, theatre production, business, project management, or events management.
Job duties will include working collaboratively with Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts (the Center) and United Colours of Arizona Theatre (UCAT) on development of business plan, project plan, and marketing plan for a summer performance to introduce UCAT Summer Stock program.
• Work with the Center and UCAT to develop outline of event.
• Put together project calendar.
• Work with the Center and UCAT on marketing plan.
• Work with UCAT on selection of and contract with artists.
• Work with UCAT and the Center on contract creation for artists.
• Work with UCAT as it develops fundraising play.
Required skills include strong organizational skills, basic understanding of budgeting, ability to multitask, and strong communication skills. Will be asked to attend UCAT board meetings to help understand the organization/process of UCAT.
Scottsdale Arts Spring Data Marketing Internship – Spring 2021
Seeking upper-level undergraduate or graduate student in communications, marketing, computer science/digital societies, data analytics, or business analysis.
Job duties will include:
• Analyze targeted social media campaigns designed to engage patrons visiting Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art (SMoCA) and performances at Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts.
• Create engagement level tests and report on the effectiveness of different models of social media engagement.
• Work in Sprout Social tracking and reporting on patron engagement across predefined hashtags and post threads.
• Generate a report on effectiveness based on metrics defined by the marketing director.
• Uses reporting data to propose post model by channel that aligns best with patron engagement. Based on findings, build test formats using model data to test effectiveness of the proposed model on the live feed.
• Monitor and report on the effectiveness of each model.
Desired skills include data analysis, content development, knowledge of branded A/B market testing, experience with Microsoft Excel, and experience with social analytics and reporting through Sprout Social and/or Google Analytics.
Note: we looking for interns who are interested in using patron engagement data to help report on the effectiveness of our social campaigns.
Scottsdale Arts Development & Fundraising Intern – Spring 2021
Seeking an associate, undergraduate, or graduate student who is interested in nonprofit fundraising (development), management, public affairs, communication, marketing, advertising, public relations, project management, or events management.
This internship will provide valuable insight and exposure to the philanthropic processes of the largest arts nonprofit in the state. The development and fundraising intern will work closely with all members of the Scottsdale Arts Development Department to plan and execute events, create social media and digital content for fundraising campaigns and donor recognition, gain introductory knowledge of Tessitura CRM, and participate in membership/donor acquisition, grant writing, and retention initiatives, including processing direct mail appeals and stewardship communications.
Duties will include:
• Assisting in donor research using database and other sources for in-depth prospecting of individual, corporate, and foundational entities.
• Assisting with gift acknowledgement, donor recognition, and outreach activities.
• Assisting with and create digital donation campaigns, including drafting email correspondence, social media posts, and blog posts.
• Assisting with the renewals of membership and support membership events and activities.
• Researching and preparing reports for individual and corporate sponsorships/grant applications.
• Supporting coordination of Scottsdale Arts Development events, including the annual ARTrageous Gala, donor outreach events, corporate partner events, etc.
The ideal candidate will possess strong computer, communication, and organizational skills; be a self-starter, quick learner, and enthusiastic personality; have the ability to work independently and collaboratively and problem solve with a keen eye for detail; have the ability to maintain data integrity and safekeeping of confidential information; and have an interest in nonprofit philanthropy. Database experience is highly suggested but not required.
Benefits of the internship include:
• Opportunity to earn university school credit.
• A year-long ONE Membership at Scottsdale Arts, which includes unlimited admission to Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art (SMoCA) and access to complementary tickets to shows at Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts.
• Training in a professional, multi-department office environment in the beautiful Scottsdale Civic Center in Old Town Scottsdale.
Beginning Spring 2021, all internships will be paid $12.15 per hour with a maximum of 160 hours per semester.
Please email any questions and applications to Resumes@ScottsdaleArts.org