At Scottsdale Arts, we believe the arts have the power to heal and transform. These programs promote social, physical and mental wellness for seniors through workshops and performances at Scottsdale Center for Performing Arts, Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art or at your facility.
Scottsdale Arts offers entertaining and interactive experiences ranging from musical performances to visual arts workshops with local performers and artists for senior centers, group homes, assisted-living facilities and other senior locations.
Contact LeslieH@ScottsdaleArts.org for details and scheduling availability.
NEW: Memory Lounge
Scottsdale Arts presents a new program series for people living with early to moderate stages of dementia-related illness and their care partners. The goal of Memory Lounge is to be an enjoyable, social outing that helps couples live in the moment as they engage in the arts. Starting in October, Memory Lounge will feature artist-led workshops and museum tours, with light appetizers and soft drinks. Each workshop will focus on a specific arts discipline, including visual arts, music, dance, poetry, drama and more. Come join us for artful engagement and conversation!
Thursday, Oct. 5, 1 – 3:30 p.m.
Thursday, Nov. 2, 1 – 3:30 p.m.
Thursday, Dec. 7, 1 – 3:30 p.m.
SMoCA Lounge, Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art
$20 per couple per session, or $50 for a three-part series
Care partners: If you can answer yes to all of these questions, then the Memory Lounge program is for you.
• Does your partner live at home?
• Has he or she been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s or other dementia by a health care professional? If so, is s/he in mild to moderate stages, which would be defined by symptoms such as: asking repetitive questions, difficulty with short-term memory, finding the right words in conversations and a decline in everyday planning and tasks.
• Can s/he stay focused and enjoy a 90-minute interactive program?
• Is s/he comfortable around others?
• Are you (the care partner) able to attend all sessions in the series with him/her? Do you have availability on Thursday afternoons to attend this series?
How to book: Scottsdale Center for Performing Arts Box Office: 480-499-TKTS (8587)
Thursday, Oct. 5
World-renowned instrumentalist Samite is our very special guest artist for this first Memory Lounge event! Samite was featured in the award-winning documentary Alive Inside, which spoke to music’s healing power for people with memory loss. Born in Uganda, Samite learned to play traditional African flute. At 12 years old, he was introduced to western flute, and played for enthusiastic audiences across Africa. He immigrated to the United States in 1987 and now performs world-wide. Samite will perform at Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts on October 6.
Thursday, Nov. 2
Visual arts workshop with Trisha Burrough. Please check back for more details.
Thursday, Dec. 7
Dance workshop with Allyson Yoder.
Contact LHales@ScottsdaleArts.org with any questions.