Creative aging programs are designed to inspire conversations and creativity through art. No prior experience is required and all materials are provided. Times and locations may vary.
new: Memory Lounge
First Thursdays: Oct. 5, Nov. 2 and Dec. 7, 1 – 4 p.m.
SMoCA Lounge, Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art
Scottsdale Arts presents a new program series for people living with early to moderate stages of dementia-related illness, and their care partners. The goal of Memory Lounge is to be an enjoyable, social outing that helps couples live in the moment as they engage in the arts. Starting in October 2017, Memory Lounge will feature artist-led workshops and museum tours, with light appetizers and soft drinks. Each workshop will focus on a specific arts discipline, including visual arts, music, dance, poetry, drama and more. Starting off our first series will be Samité, an internationally known musician who was featured in the film Alive Inside. Come join us for artful engagement and conversation.
- Tickets: $20 per couple, per session, or $50 for a three-part series
- Booking: Scottsdale Center for Performing Arts Box Office: 480-499-TKTS (8587)
- Contact: Laura Hales, curator of education, LHales@ScottsdaleArts.org
If you can answer yes to all of these questions, then Memory Lounge is right for you and the person you care for:
- Does your partner live at home?
- Has he or she been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s or other dementia by a health care professional? If so, is s/he in mild to moderate stages, which would be defined with symptoms such as asking repetitive questions, difficulty with short-term memory, finding the right words in conversations and/or a decline in everyday planning and tasks.
- Can s/he stay focused and enjoy a 90-minute interactive program?
- Is s/he comfortable around others?
- Are you able to attend all sessions in the series with him/her?
Do you have availability on Thursday afternoons to attend this series?
Let Scottsdale Arts take you on an art adventure in the city. This two or three-part workshop series includes a lecture and workshop in the first week and a field trip the following week.
Pick up a copy of the City of Scottsdale Senior Living Guide for more details.
Scottsdale Arts is actively expanding Creative Aging programming. Please visit often for the latest details on new programs.
Coloring and Coffee
Join Scottsdale Arts and explore your creativity in a social and welcoming
atmosphere. Enjoy a cup of coffee and relax with some calming art activities.
No prior experience required and all materials are provided.
- Free; registration required
- Every Wednesday at 10 a.m. at Granite Reef Senior Center:
1700 N. Granite Reef Road, Scottsdale, Ariz., 85257
- Every first and third Thursday at 10 a.m. at Via Linda Senior Center:
10440 E. Via Linda Scottsdale, Ariz., 85258